Skip to Content

Beta This is a new website and your feedback is important. Please use the smiley faces at the bottom of the page to submit feedback.

Text size:

Living independently at home

Mobility aids, equipment and adaptations


If you need help with everyday tasks in the home, there is equipment available and changes that can be made in your home which will help with daily living.

This can help you with:
  • safe access and mobility in and around the home
  • bathing and showering
  • toileting
  • getting in and out of bed
  • kitchen activities
  • sitting and standing
  • being independent in your own home
Find equipment, advice and support to help with daily living

You can use the AskSARA online self-assessment tool to find useful information about products that make daily living easier.

AskSARA is free and easy to use. Simply choose which subject you would like help and support with and then answer some questions about yourself and your environment. AskSARA will then give you a personalised report providing:

  • ideas and tips about ways to make your life easier;
  • details of products that might help you, and where to get them; and
  • contacts for more information and further help if needed.
Start your self-assessment at AskSARA

Buying your own equipment

Equipment is widely available online.

You may like to visit a local equipment shop where you can try before you buy. You can search for a shop online.

Getting help from us

Finding out what you need is the first thing and we may offer you advice and information or equipment after we have assessed your needs.

We may need to arrange for an assessor to visit you in your home to assess your needs and provide advice. They will ask questions to see how you manage in your home and where you need help. You'll work out what help you would like together.

Following an assessment of your needs, equipment to support you can be provided by the council. All equipment is provided on a loan basis, to be used for as long as is required to meet your needs

To arrange an assessment or to find out what help is available, please contact our Community Health and Social Care Hub  as below.

Contact Community Health and Social Care Hub

Community Health and Social Care Hub is where you will find further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees. 

Contact the Community Health and Social Care Hub
Returning our equipment

Equipment we loan to you must be returned when you no longer need it. This will help support other people who also need equipment

Please contact Medequip equipment returns 01484 728970  to arrange a free collection.

Email: (opens in new window)

Build a healthy ageing plan with the LifeCurve

Use the LifeCurve website to find out how well you are managing with your daily activities and explore how you can keep on living independently.

Visit the LifeCurve website



Adaptations are changes that can be made to your home to make it safer and easier for you to move around and do everyday tasks.

The service is provided for people of any age with a health need who are struggling in their home environment - this includes children with a disability. We work with people living in any type of housing including those who may rent or who own their own home.

Getting adaptations from us

Finding out what you need is the first stage, and we can only adapt your home after your needs have been assessed.

An occupational therapist or other assessor will visit you in your home to complete your assessment  and provide advice. They will ask you questions about how you manage in your home and see what you struggle with. Together you will work out what help you need.

Types of adaptations

Following an assessment, the assessor may recommend adaptations to your home. If you rent your home, you will need permission from your landlord before we can carry out any adaptations. We can discuss this with you and your landlord further to explain the process and any works needed.

Adaptation examples

Adaptations come in all shapes and sizes and will need to be tailored to individual needs. They help you to remain or increase your independence, for example bathing, toileting or access around the home. They could also support your family/carers.

Examples of adaptations can include:

  • grab rails
  • shallow steps
  • stair bannisters 
  • stair lifts
  • level access showers
  • widening doorways to allow wheelchair access or other mobility aids
  • lowering kitchen worktops
  • putting in an outdoor ramp
  • specialised safety adaptations and equipment - particularly for children including wall padding and window protectors
  • lifting hoists
Paying for adaptations

After an assessment of your needs, we will check that adaptations are possible in your home. Where all recommended adaptations cost less than £5000 they can be provided free of charge. Anything above this amount would be means tested (except adaptations for children), but may be eligible to be covered by a grant or other financial support.

If you do not meet the criteria and/or you decide to fund adaptations yourself, we can still give you advice and support including a list of advisory contractors who have done this work before.

Alternatively you can find local traders you can trust on the Age UK Calderdale and Kirklees Trusted Traders Directory

Visit the Age UK Trusted Traders website 

How to contact us

Contact Accessible Homes team 

The Accessible Homes team (AHT) can also be contacted directly to make a self-referral or for additional advice regarding adaptations.

Telephone: 01484 225335

Email: (opens in new window)

Open Monday to Friday:

8:30am to 5pm 

10:00am to 3:30pm (dedicated duty officer is available)

Adaptations for children (under 18)

We accept self-referrals from parents/carers. You will be asked for information regarding your child's medical diagnosis and a brief summary of the issues experienced at home.

Adaptations for adults (18 years old +)

Community Health and Social Care Hub is where you will find further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees. 

How to contact the Community Health and Social Care Hub


It can often be difficult and expensive to find someone to do those small jobs that you used to do yourself, such as hanging a curtain rail or fixing a dripping tap. Our handyperson service can help with these jobs.

Kirklees Council fund Age UK to offer some services free of charge.

Who is eligible for the free service?

Residents in Kirklees who are:

  • over the age of 60
  • adults with a disability
  • children and young people with a disability 
  • individuals being discharged from hospital or intermediate care

Residents in social housing or a care home are not eligible for the free service.

Handyperson services

Our handyperson service can help with small jobs to make your day-to-day life easier such as:

  • fitting internal and external handrails
  • fitting curtain rails
  • fixing a dripping tap
  • moving furniture
  • clearing footpaths
  • minor joinery and many other small jobs
Jobs they can't do

The service is unable to do:

  • large scale works
  • gas work
  • electrical work (other than light bulbs and fuses)
  • any work at height
  • garden maintenance
  • internal or external decorating
How to book a handyperson
Contact Age UK

Email: (opens in new window)

Telephone: 01484 535994

The NHS can provide equipment, such as walking sticks, walking frames and wheelchairs to aid mobility. These are provided on long-term loans and you can arrange this through your GP, hospital consultant or physiotherapist. You can ask for a Mobility Assessment.

Walking sticks and walking frames (zimmer frames or rollators)

You can use a walking stick to give you extra support and help you balance. It can give you confidence and make walking less painful.

A walking frame gives you more support than walking sticks. You can use them to get around your home or to get out and about.

How to get a walking stick or walking frame

You can borrow some types of walking sticks or walking frames from the NHS. Speak to your GP, physiotherapist or hospital staff. You might have to pay a small deposit.

You can buy online or from mobility shops.

Which? magazine has advice on buying the best walking stick, zimmer frame or rollator


Ask your GP, physiotherapist or hospital staff to refer you to your local wheelchair service for an assessment. You'll need to do this before you can get an NHS wheelchair.

The local wheelchair service will decide if you need a wheelchair and, if so, what type.

Borrowing wheelchairs

You can sometimes borrow NHS wheelchairs for a short while (for example, after an operation).

Shopmobility rent mobility scooters, wheelchairs and walkers. This service is provided by Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees.

Visit Age UK - Shopmobility website

If you need a short-term loan of mobility aids they can often be loaned from the local British Red Cross. You can either collect equipment or, in some cases, have it delivered for a small fee.

Visit the British Red Cross website

Visit the Eden Mobility (Huddersfield) website

Mobility scooters

Mobility scooters can be useful if you struggle to walk or are disabled, need to travel long distances, and are able to easily get on and off a mobility scooter.

How to get a mobility scooter

Mobility scooters aren't generally available on the NHS. You can buy online or from mobility shops.

Which? magazine has advice on the best mobility scooter in 2023

Buying your own equipment or adaptations

A lot of equipment is widely available both on the high street and online.

10% discount at the following stores

Medequip provide the community equipment service for Kirklees Council and North Kirklees and Greater Huddersfield NHS CCG.

Download the Medequip retail leaflet to get 10% off your purchase at the following stores:-

Please present this leaflet at the above locations to receive your discount.

Further help and advice


The Carephone service is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Linking to our alarm and response service, that helps reassure you to be able to live safely and independently in your own home.

Who can have this service

The service is helpful for anyone who is vulnerable or is caring for a vulnerable person. There is no age barrier; anyone who lives alone or feels insecure could benefit from the service.

How much it costs

Equipment is provided free of charge. Depending upon your needs and financial circumstances a weekly monitoring fee may be payable.

The cost will be £9.17 per week for the standard package and £9.87 per week for the enhanced package.

Standard carephone package

The carephone, a personal alarm, a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector make up our standard package.

Enhanced carephone package

A range of other devices are also available from the carephone home safety service. These form part of our enhanced carephone package which is designed to meet the individual needs of people who use our service.

The Kirklees carephone home safety service have produced information videos on some of the devices and sensors in the enhanced carephone package. You can watch the individual videos using the links below:

How a carephone works

The new digital carephone comes with a built-in sim, requiring an electric socket only. Both work with a range of sensors that are installed according to your needs.

The new style digital Carephone comes with a built-in sim, requiring an electric socket only. It can be moved into different rooms with you - for example at nighttime you can plug it in your bedroom.

If one of the sensors is automatically activated or if you press your personal alarm, an alert is raised and the carephone automatically rings our control centre. Our trained operators are able to speak with you to assess the situation, check your safety and take the appropriate action. This could include calling a family member, friend or the emergency services.

Ask about a carephone

To ask about a carephone contact  Community Health and Social Care Hub

Community Health and Social Care Hub is where you will find further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.

How to contact the Community Health and Social Care Hub


A key safe is a small box that is fitted to an outdoor wall near to a door.  You programme it with a code that is only given certain people, such as family, care staff or emergency services, they can then access the key inside allowing them to enter your home.

 Buying a key safe

You can buy a key safe online or on the high street. West Yorkshire Police recommend key safes that have the Secured by Design approval  logo.

Fitting a key safe

You should follow the manufacturer's instructions exactly to make sure your key safe is fitted securely to a solid surface such as brickwork or concrete using the approved fittings.

If you are over the age of 60 or have a disability, Age UK provide a handyperson service who can fit the key safe for you.

Independence at home

If you feel that you need more help living at home, then you may want to think about using home care agencies, sometimes called domiciliary care agencies. Home care is a way of being supported in your own home, in an environment that you are comfortable and familiar while staying close to family and friends.

You can contact a care agency to buy your own care and support.  Home care can be arranged by the Council if you are eligible after a care needs assessment.  If your care is arranged by us, you will be asked to pay a contribution depending on your financial circumstances.

How home care can help

Home care can help you if you need help with:

  • personal care, such as washing or dressing
  • getting up or going to bed
  • continence care
  • taking your medication
  • preparing light meals and snacks

Home care workers do not usually help with cleaning services or preparing large meals.

If you have a large amount of care already, they may also help you with:

  • shopping
  • light cleaning
  • dealing with finances, household bills, letters and correspondence

Home care staff can provide support to access your local community depending on your needs. Staff are trained to support you if you have an assessed need for equipment or adaptations, so you can remain as independent as possible.

You could also choose to employ a personal assistant to help you.

Information about a care needs assessment

Finding home care services
How to contact adult social care services

Community Health and Social Care Hub is where you will find further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees. 

Employing a personal assistant (PA) can give you more control and flexibility over how your needs are met and to receive support in a way that you choose.

You can employ a personal assistant to meet your needs by paying them yourself on a private basis or with a direct payment from the Council if you are eligible for one. A direct payment is an alternative to the Council providing you with their own brokered services.

What do personal assistants do?

A PA can help with a wide range of tasks; they can support you at home, at work, in education or when you are out and about. The support could include:

  • personal care - such as getting dressed
  • making meals or helping you to eat/drink
  • helping you take your medication
  • using transport, attending appointments or socialising if you need extra support whilst you are out

Having a PA can be more sociable. Many people employing a personal assistant consider them a friend as well as an employee and appreciate the consistency of having one-to-one support from someone they know well and get on with.

Support with hiring a personal assistant from the In2Care team

The In2Care team can help you advertise for a PA. Completing the form below takes around 5 minutes.

Fill in a PA3 Advert Request form at Go to In2Care to look for a PA

The form will come straight to us to begin working on.

Or contact the team with the contact details below.

If you are looking for support to advertise for a personal assistant please contact In2Care Kirklees by:


If you would like further information or support with hiring a PA please contact the Community Health and Social Care Hub who will put you in touch with Care Navigation.


To look after yourself properly it is really important to eat well and to eat often, especially if you have a long term health condition.

Online grocery shopping and delivery

All of the big supermarkets offer a home shopping delivery service which you can access online.

Help with computers

Age UK provide free help, support and training to learn how to use the internet. They can help you learn how to get online, communicate with your family, order your prescription, do some shopping, book a holiday or just write a letter or email a friend.

Visit the Age UK website for advice on making the most of the Internet 

Your local Kirklees library may also offer help and advice with this too.

How to find your nearest Library


If you struggle to visit the shops to get your own food the Access bus may be helpful.

Access bus is a dial-a-ride bus service providing door-to-door local transport, seven days a week between 9am and 5pm.

It is of particular benefit to people who are unable to use standard bus services, as the driver assists passengers from door-to-door, including boarding and alighting. The buses are fully accessible, fitted with seatbelts and the most up-to-date wheelchair restraints. 

Go to information about the Access Bus

Meals on wheels providers

Meals on wheels services are not provided by Kirklees Council however, there are companies who will deliver you meals, frozen or cooked. There is a charge for these services. You can find these online, or you can contact the Community Heath and Social Care Hub should you require support to find a local service.

Go to more information about meal deliveries 

Lunch clubs

There are a number of luncheon clubs within Kirklees. Many of them are run by voluntary organisations and there is usually a charge.

Search for a luncheon club or social group in your local area


Help with cooking and eating food

If you need help to prepare, eat or drink meals there is equipment available such as cups with spill resistant cups, water bottles with spouts, large grip cutlery, angled cutlery, deep bowl spoons and much more. You can search online.

Go to the Eden Mobility (Huddersfield) website

Go to the Manage @ Home website

Kirklees Wellness service

The Wellness service provides free support to adults in Kirklees with long term health conditions. They help to improve your health and well-being through a variety of services.

Go to Wellness service webpage

How to contact adult social care services

Community Health and Social Care Hub is where you will find further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.

How to contact the Community Health and Social Care Hub

Help from your GP

If you are losing weight, worried about your diet or are having difficulty eating or drinking, please contact your GP who will be able to offer information and advice on what help you may need.

If you are unable to move your bins yourself you can apply for assistance from the bin collection crew.

Who qualifies for assistance and what help is available
  • you qualify if you are infirm, or have a medical condition or disability, that restricts your ability to wheel out your bin for collection
  • the service is available even if your need is only temporary
  • the service is not available if there is an able bodied person living at the address.
  • those who qualify will have their refuse collected by the refuse collectors, and the bin will be returned to its storage point

Contact Kirklees Council to request an assisted bin collection 

Last updated: